Friday, August 12, 2011

I know I am getting old-----

Last night we went to the Ringling Bros Barnum and Bailey Circus here in Jackson.  Man I love the circus.  It was kind of sad at how many empty seats there were.  There probably wasn't a thousand people there and this was $11 night.  That was really sad to me.

I remember when the circus was such a big deal and everyone wanted to go.  I'm sure it doesn't help that it is very expensive, but last night there was just a feeling of  "loss of family " time.  Do you know what I mean?  kind of like families are too busy for such an event as this.  As I was talking to some friends who were there, she asked me "Does it seem so much smaller just because we are older?"  Yea - I think so - you know things were always bigger and better when you were little -- the circus is kind of the same.

She also made the statement "I was kind of afraid my kids would be like- Is this all there is to it?"  I think it is so sad that our kids have so much and see so much at such early ages, that not even the circus impresses them too much.

Family time is very important to me -- I make it a point for us to sit as a family, TV off and eat dinner.  This is not a normal family time thing anymore either, but that's when we all "tell about our days".  Most of the time - the stuff they say is sooo trivial and uninteresting, but it is what was important to them that day, therefore it is an insight to who they are and THAT is important to me.

But, family time is the easiest thing to put on the back burner.  We are all soo busy that we "just don't have time" anymore - and that is sad!!  Lets all try our best to spend as much time with our children and spouses as possible -- God gave them to us and we should value that gift!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad y'all took the time to take your kids to see the circus. The last time we went we took my nephew Quniten when he was about 7 or 8 and he is now 19! Gosh, I didn't realize it had been that long ago! I still have a framed picture of the three of us with tall clown hats and a red clown nose on, grinning from ear to ear!

    ReplyDelete